Fedora 15 has several major new features with special focus on desktops, developers, virtualization, security and system administration. I’m not a regular Fedora user but on the request from one of my readers I tested out this simple step by step guide to upgrade Fedora 14 to Fedora 15 through simple Terminal commands.
Before upgrading I request you to save all your important information and data in case of some error.
You must need more than 600 MB of RAM. Else the system might hang when it tries to reboot with the following message (leaving you with an unusable system):
“Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs…”
Upgrade Steps :
1. Open a Terminal in Fedora 14. For this go to Applications > System Tools > Terminal
2. Now login as root. For this type :
3. Upgrade the rpm package :
yum update rpm
4. Install the latest updates :
yum -y update
5. Next clean the yum cache :
yum clean all
6. Reboot the system now :
7. After rebooting again login as root :
8. Install preupgrade :
yum install preupgrade
9. Open preupgrade wizard :
10. Select Fedora 15 (Lovelock)
11. Now the system will be prepared for the upgrade. At the end, click on the Reboot Now button.
The upgrade will be performed during the reboot which may take a quite long time. After rebooting you can login to the new Fedora 15.
I hope you liked this guide. If you find some errors please let me know. Like MultimediaBoom on Facebook or follow on Twitter for more hot updates on LINUX. Subscribe to our RSS feeds for free email updates.