Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Alpha 3 Screenshots and Video


Ubuntu 11.04 a.k.a Natty Narwhal alpha 3 has just been released. There has been a lot of changes made since the release of Alpha 2. Some of the key changes are upgrade in the software packages, Unity has been made more flexible, many changes are done in ares like AppMenu, Ubuntu software center, Ubuntu One and so on.

Update : Ubuntu 11.04 Final (stable) version is available now. Go to Ubuntu 11.04 Natty – Screenshots, Review, What’s New [UPDATED]

There is a also awesome tweak in the live disc which allows you upgrade to Natty directly, we will be discussing how to do so in the next post.

Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 3 video

Take a look at the video for knowing more about the alpha 3 version. Here are some screenshots.

Changes in Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 3 since alpha 2

Software Upgrades

– Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 3 comes with a new Linux Kernel 2.6.38 RC7, GNOME 2.32.1, Banshee 1.9.4, Nautilus, LibreOffice 3.3.1, Firefox 4 beta 12 and Evolution 2.32.2.

– Dash and the Unity launcher have undergone a lot of changes and the rest of Ubuntu-specific applications  like AppMenu, Ubuntu Software Center, AppIndicators and Ubuntu One have some minor changes.

New Looks

– Unity panel got new features: transparency, respects current GTK theme style

– The top Unity panel got transparency support and further more, it now respects the GTK theme style


Keyboard shortcuts

– Ubuntu 11.04 alpha 3 displays an overlay over the Unity launcher with all the available keyboard shortcuts – to do this you must press and hold the Super key (Windows Key)

– Pressing the Super key will open Dash

– There are some new keyboard shortcuts to open the first panel menu as well as a shortcut to put keyboard focus on the panel

Dash, Unity Places Applications / Files changes

– Dash has a new design and is now full-screen on netbooks but not on a desktop.

– You can now maximize Dash on a desktop (notice the icon on the lower right corner).

– Searching for Unity applications and file places has improved.  You can now sort the applications files by type.

Hide animations, autohide

-The Unity launcher has nice hide animations: fade and slide, slide and fade only

-Ubuntu 11.04 Unity launcher has the normal autohide behavior and intellihide.

Rock On!

Ubuntu has introduced two new music stores in this release: Ubuntu One Music Store and Amazon Mp3 Store. The Banshee developers donate all the money made using the Amazon Store to GNOME but Ubuntu has its own music store so initially the Amazon Store was supposed to be disabled by default.

Ubuntu will take a 75% cut of the affiliate fees from purchases made through Amazon Mp3 Store; the other 25% would go to the GNOME Foundation but Ubuntu will also donate 25% of the revenue from the Banshee Ubuntu One store and the Rhythmbox Ubuntu one store to the GNOME Foundation.

Upgrade support for the Ubuntu Live CD installer

The Ubuntu 11.04 live cd now has upgrade support which allows upgrade from older Ubuntu versions deirctly via Live disc. This is very useful for sloe Internet users. from older  installer finally got upgrade support so you’ll be able to upgrade from older Ubuntu versions using the CD (very useful for those with bad or no internet connection). Besides this cool new feature, the Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal alpha 3 partitioner got a new design.

What’s Next on Schedule

Read the complete release date from here

  • March 31st – Beta
  • April 14th – Beta 2
  • April 28th – Ubuntu 11.04

Download Ubuntu 11.04 Alpha 3

Download Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal alpha 3 – remember, this is an alpha version so do not use it on production machines. Its better to wait for the full release.

Thanks to Webupd8 for the images and video




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here