The Adobe Pixel Bender Plug-in (v2.1) for Adobe Photoshop CS5 supports processing of Pixel Bender filters on images opened in Photoshop CS5. These filters can be executed on the graphics card (GPU) or CPU of a computer. Pixel Bender customers as well as members of the Adobe Pixel Bender team have authored the filters that are included in this download.
KNOWING IN DETAIL
What is the Pixel Bender Plug-in for Photoshop CS5?
The Pixel Bender Plug-in for Adobe Photoshop CS5 supports processing of Pixel Bender filters on images opened in Photoshop CS5. These filters can be executed on the graphics card (GPU) or CPU of a computer. Pixel Bender customers as well as members of the Adobe Pixel Bender team have authored the filters that are included in this download.
What is the Pixel Bender technology?
Adobe Pixel Bender technology delivers a common image and video processing infrastructure which provides automatic runtime optimization on heterogeneous hardware. You can use the Pixel Bender kernel language to implement image-processing algorithms (filters or effects) in a hardware-independent manner. The Pixel Bender graph language is an XML-based language for combining individual pixel-processing operations (kernels) into more complex Pixel Bender filters. Visit the Pixel Bender technology Center for more information.
What has changed between the Photoshop CS4 Pixel Bender Plug-in and the one for Photoshop CS5?
The CS5 Plug-in now includes an OilPaint filter (similar to the Cartoon effect found in After Effects CS5) as well as support for both 32- and 64-bit Macintosh and Windows operating systems. The OilPaint filter included in the Photoshop CS5 Pixel Bender Plug-in enables parameters to create oil paint-like effects on your images.
What is included in the latest update (v2.1)?
This update addresses many bug fixes especially those that resulted in a number of seemingly random bug crashes.
Does the Pixel Bender Plug-in work with Photoshop CS5 on Windows and Mac 64-bit?
Yes. The Plug-in works on both 32- and 64-bit Windows and Macintosh systems.
Where can I find more Pixel Bender filters?
You can find Pixel Bender filter creations from other developers on the Pixel Bender Exchange on Adobe.com.
To install the Pixel Bender Plug-in for Photoshop CS5 in Windows and Mac OS:
- Download the Pixel Bender Plug-in for Photoshop CS5
- Navigate to the download location and double-click on the MXP file. Extension Manager CS5 is launched and the Pixel Bender Plug-in is installed once you accept the licensing terms.Note: The Pixel Bender Plug-in requires Extension Manager CS5. If Extension Manager CS4 is launched when you double-click the MXP file, you need to launch Extension Manager CS5 from the Start > All Programs menu on Windows and Applications/Adobe Extension Manager CS5 on the Mac OS and manually “Install Extension” from within Adobe Extension Manager CS5.
- Select the File > Install Extension menu and navigate to the location of the MXP file.Note: If you are installing on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you’ll need to run the Extension Manager as an Administrator by right-clicking on the Extension Manager application and selecting the Run as administrator menu.
- Launch Photoshop CS5.
- Open an image. The maximum image size supported is 4096×4096 pixels.
- Choose Filter > Pixel Bender > Pixel Bender Gallery. The Pixel Bender Gallery is initially populated with Pixel Bender filters that are installed with the Plug-in. If you would like to add other filters, close the plug-in dialog and copy the filters into the “Pixel Bender Files” folder within the “Adobe Photoshop CS5” folder. The new filters will then appear in the Pixel Bender Gallery the next time the Plug-in is opened in Photoshop.