Alien Arena is one of the best free FPS game based on source code. It has gameplay similar to Quake, Doom and Unreal Tournament. If you haven’t tried the game yet then install it through our PPA – trust me, in no time at all you’ll be in the arena and battling for your life against some of the meanest and most deadly shooters ever to do battle online.
System Requirements : OpenGL compatible graphics card , 128mb ram minimum/256mb+ recommended, 650mhz processor minimum/1.4ghz recommended.
- Extensive rewrite of bsp surface rendering for a massive performance increase
- Complete rewrite of vertex buffer object code
- Complete rewrite of post process effects(pain, heat wave distortions, etc)
- Improvements to light volumes
- Improvements to shadow mapping for dynamic shadows
- Massive renderer cleanup and re-org
- First editions of a developer reference
- Improvements to vehicle hud rendering
- Added configure option for Unix/Linux ANSI color console output
- Integrate ODE library into Unix/Linux build to avoid potential problems
- Variety of graphical updates
- Three new/revamped levels
- Fixed bug with vid_restart on map change, for much faster map loading
- Added downloading of iqm meshes
In Alien Arena we can play against computer-controlled opponents in single player mode or against other real players in multiplayer mode. Started in 2004 by COR Entertainment, the game combines a 1950s-era sci-fi atmosphere with gameplay. Currently Alien Arena is developed and released by id Software.
To install Alien Arena in Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick or 10.04 Lucid follow the instructions:
- Download this package
- After downloading double click on it (playdeb_0.3-1~getdeb1_all.deb)
- Now open a Terminal and type:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install alien-arena